Friday, January 25, 2013

We Are The Mods.

Rosie found these old pics at her grans house of me and my brother from the spring of 1979. I haven't seen these for many years. Damn I was young. Living in London back then was very special.

Ben, my brother on his Sportique.



Myself and Sheena, my girlfriend at the time, on my LI 150. All the mirrors and lights had been removed in order to rattle can the Lambretta. This was taken just prior to putting them all back on. Check out the chrome side panels, bling!  You can just see the rear end of my recently acquired series 2 TV175. Scooters were so cheap back then. Man, really wish I had kept them both.
Ladbroke Grove. 




Sheena, our good friend Chinner (RIP bruv) and Ben just messing about. Yup, it was all Fred Perry's. 501's and Sta Prest.
Ladbroke Grove.



Me, Emmett, Chinner and John Coney at the Swan pub in Hammersmith.

9 comments:

  1. Memories ... In 1978 - 79 I had a Lambretta SX200 - used to ride it around the New forest. It was the time of the Modraphiniacs. I was 17 -18. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, you mods thumbed your noses at us greasy rockabilly types now you're riding around on motorcycles acting like a bunch "down" biker bros. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmm, not really. A lot of my mates were 'rockers' back then. London was like that in those days. It wasn't long before I traded my Lambretta in for a BSA A10 sometime in the early 80's. Does that qualify me as a down biker bro? I still like Scooters and I still like Motorbikes. I still listen to Mod music and I still listen to Rockabilly. Funny old world isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Great pics. I remember going to the Kings Head at Chelsea Embankment, the Wellington, Waterloo and 6T's nights, the Viceroy's of London SC, Quadrophonics SC, (Lloyd) Johnson's store on the Kings Road...Great times, had my fair share of Brit bikes, scooters & Harleys since. What happened to UK youth cults?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell yes mate, I was in fact one of the original members of the Viceroys with Lloyd. Wasn't a Viceroy long though 'cos me and some friends formed the 'Shepherds Bush Mods'. We started to hang out at a pub called the Hercules Tavern in Lambeth. Just half a dozen scooters there in those days, that soon swelled to over 100 after Quadrophenia came out. London was a great, crazy place to live back then. Youth cults were what we lived and breathed. I can't imagine today's music and fashion being the same without them. So much fighting though, which got to be really boring after awhile. Good times bruv.

      Delete
  4. If you were an original Viceroy then our paths would've definitely crossed! I remember Lloyd riding shotgun on a (Honda?) 750 with all the scooters going down to Brighton May 1980. I got some photos of that run somewhere. I remember hanging out with the Fulham Wasps in Putney & Chelsea too. Damn Quadrophenia, that was the beginning of the end! I'll email some pics if I can find them.
    Take it easy brother.

    ReplyDelete