Thursday, December 29, 2011

MFMC


Mean Fuckers Motorcycle Club cafe racer line up at the Brands Hatch "Festival of a Thousand Bikes" show.
Early 90's.
From left to right, Kojo, Dixie, Perry and myself.
What was great about this event was you got to ride 4 laps around the Brands Hatch race circuit. They put all the bikes in different categories throughout the day. I think we were in the 50's/60's custom class or something like that. There would be about 50 bikes out in each group with a marshal going around at about 60mph. You were not allowed to overtake the marshal under any circumstances. A parade really. So what the 4 us would do is all ride round at the back of the pack really slowly for the first 2 laps pretending the bikes were not running right. Then when we had built up almost a whole lap of empty track in front of us we would get on it and race each other flat out for the last 2 laps with all the track marshal's freaking out and waving flags at us to slowdown. We did this for 3 or 4 years. The only scary moment I had was one year when I was cranked right over on the Norton at the fast Clearways corner, hanging on for dear life feeling pretty pleased with my performance when Perry went around me on the outside! The last place I expected to see anyone, it frightened the life out of me, he was flying. He ended up on the grass just before Brabham straight and I felt for sure he was going down but he held it. He was and still is a great rider, really very good. The best out of all of us. Good times. Of course the ride home was a whole other race, if you know what I mean.

3 comments:

  1. those are some great looking bikes! I like the Ducati.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please return to the straight path of 50s rock and roll!!!!
    Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" Richardson listen to my prayers for Matt and Dean!!

    ReplyDelete